Aug 17, 2008

Sippy Cup Nation

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Yesterday's post inadvertently set off a debate about sippy cups. Marcia posed the question, in the form of a declarative sentence, about the official cutoff age for the use of the sippy cup. The lovely Mrs. Sneed and I were discussing it over dinner and we are not sure of the answer. We did agree that since we are a nation on the move, the covered cup seems to have become more common than the open cup. Some might call this a sippy cup. Or this...a sippy cup for all seasons. Or this...the sippy cup home version for adults. Or this...drive-thru sippy cup? The urban sippy cup? I guess regardless of age we all prefer our beverages in us and not on us. Especially not on our grandfather's clean carpet. Grow, develop, run free young man. Just do it on the tile floor or use a covered cup. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

14 comments:

bitchlet said...

The alien doesn't seem to like sippy cups much. I would say my favourite is the urban sippy cup.

Megan said...

I second Bitchlet's comment.

Am I right in saying "that thing" is a Kung-Fu Panda character?

Kurt said...

Marcia?

dennis said...

Dennis uses the coffee and cola style sippy cups all of the time. Urban sippy cup on weekends.

tut-tut said...

Around here, the cutoff age was when the spiller could cope with the spill herself . . .

Bobby D. said...

I asked a few adults about sippy cups and they all admitted to using them for years now-- except for one who said if you don't put the lid on real "secure - like" the contents of the cup will spill all over you and people will laugh at you like you are a moron. (This adult is always in a hurry and had two sippy cup accidents and then stopped using the darn things!)

I say don't blame the sippy cup if you can't focus long enough to put the lid on tight.

Bobby D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fred said...

콧구멍 !?!

Marcia said...

you made good points, I stand corrected! let the sippy cups live on. (as she sips, out of her cup now)

Marcia said...

I wondered, do you ALWAYS put spoons out when setting the table? I am also wondering, why there are not any chairs at the table? Do you own 4 or more of the same color fiesta wear, or is each plate a different color? How come you dont have a cup that says worlds best golfer, or grandpa, or nincapoop? (just kidding about the last one there)

Reya Mellicker said...

Awesome post, Merle! Sippy cups for the people! Oh yeah!!

Bob Dylan said...

We always put spoons out when setting the table, I've noticed some people question this, but we always do it.

I did not use my sippy cup this morning in defense of Marcia, but now I see she has come around.

Bob Dylan said...

Now that cups are the subject, most of my cups have handles that don't get hot at all in the microwave but one cup has a handle that gets red hot after 20 seconds.

I had to put that cup to use as a pen & pencil holder after a couple of bad encounters.

dennis said...

Dennis likes how there is a rose on the table. Very civilized.