Jul 10, 2007

Sputum, Sputum and More Sputum.

I'm thinking of changing the tag line on my blog from MerleSneed: Live on Less Than You Make, to MerleSneed: Sputumalious. What do you think?

Ah, another productive day being retired. I spent the entire day cleaning house. I cleaned one of the bathrooms, dusted the furniture, vacuumed and moped the floors. I also cleaned the cabinets doors in the kitchen. My biggest job was washing some of the many, many wood blinds that cover our windows. Mrs. Sneed likes wood blinds.

Living in the desert more or less assures that every inch of the house gets covered in a fine dust. I hate the dust. Mrs. Sneed says that I get to stay retired as long as the blinds remain dust-free. Keep them clean or get a maid and a job.

Wood blinds are a major pain in the ass to clean. The only thing worse would be the old venetian blinds, with the razor sharp edges. I have tried all sorts of ways to clean these blinds, but the only surefire method is a damp rag, wiping both sides of each slat. As I said, a pain in the ass,, but still preferable to Randall Bing.

In other news, I have gotten a couple of really good deals lately, and as everyone knows, I love the good deal.

When I retired from Tedious Systems, I lost my vision insurance. (Side note: This is where Kurt comments that Other People Exist doesn't provide vision insurance to its staff). In the couple of weeks prior to my retirement, both Mrs. Sneed and I got our eyes checked and ordered new glasses, before the window of opportunity closed.

Her glasses came in no problem, just as promised. Mine were delayed and my new sunglasses have yet to arrive. It has been nearly a month. My good friends at Costco called me the other day to apologize for the delay. Apparently there has been a mishap with some coating that gets applied to the lens to make them more scratch resistant and the arrival date for the sunglasses remains unknown.

The fine folks at my Costco arranged to give me a pair of sunglasses, in my prescription, but without the coating to hold me over until the real ones come in. It is an identical pair to the ones I'm expecting, except for the coating. When my new ones finally arrive, I get to keep the interim pair. Pretty nice deal. Many places would not think to try to do something to make up for the delay.

Lastly, I have been wearing flip-flops exclusively since I retired. One problem with extended flip-flop wearing is that a person's feet get to be kind of scary looking. I could wear shoes, but all of my shoes suitable for wearing with shorts have laces and there is no way a retired guy should have to tie his shoes. I have been looking for a pair of slip-on shoes that would look okay with shorts, the only pants I will be wearing until it gets cold again.

I was in a department store the other day and I saw some canvas Topsiders that I liked. Unfortunately, I have size 14 feet and Sperry doesn't make Topsiders in size 14. I searched the internet for any canvas slip-on in size 14, only to come up empty handed. None of the major mens shoes companies sell a mens canvas slip-on that big.

I finally found that Skecher sells this skater type shoe in a 14. It was more or less what I needed, a comfortable shoe that is acceptable with shorts and is easy to get on and off.



While I was ordering it on line from the Skecher site, I noticed a box that asked for a promotional code. That got me to wondering how one gets a promotional code. I Googled "Skecher and promotional code" and I found a bunch of pages listing these codes. I picked the best deal, 40% off any canvas shoe, and entered the code with my order. To my amazement, I got 40% off my order.

So that is my tip of the day. Look for a promotional code when buying online.










Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky


Tag:

7 comments:

Fred said...

I have size 22 feets

Kurt said...

Dude - that tip is SO 2004. I get things almost for free online.

I'm also concerned about heat build-up in those topsiders. I think you should get some premium flip flops. I have a pair of Airwalks (online with promotional code: $0.12) that I highly recommend (Not my pair, but one in the same model).

Steve Reed said...

That tip may be 2004, but I've never heard of it. What a great idea!

Squirrel said...

Why would they make a size 14 in a Ladies shoe anyway?

Anonymous said...

The following is probably no help, since you have already tried "all sorts of ways to clean these blinds." But maybe I'm wrong about that, so I'll share my favorite way to clean blinds.

There are these whisk brooms that usually come with dustpans and that are really soft (unlike, say, straw brooms, which are really pointy). These make the greatest dusters of all time. Sort of like how feather dusters should be, but they don't drop feathers and they can reach into smaller spaces and you can put some pressure on them.

My sister would disagree about the best way to dust. She likes using one of those fuzzy attachments that comes on a vacuum cleaner and vacuuming up all her dust.

If your blinds really need scrubbing, though, then I'm all out of ideas.

Bobby D. said...

Your blinds really need a good scrubbing-- it's either venetian cuts or go back to Tedious for paper cuts.

Bobby D. said...

oh you dont have sharp pointy blinds...nevermind.

it is hard to get the dust in the nooks and crannies, isn't it?

Q tips.