Nov 2, 2006

Can You Sell A Dog On Ebay?

One of the elementary schools near my house has marquee and this bit of information was on it today. Smart is not what you are, but it is what you can get. I guess it is supposed to be motivational, but I don't think I agree. Dumb people don't get smarter, do they? I think all we can really do is to maximize what we have. Lock Brittney Spears in the library for the next 100 years and when you let her out, the only resemblance she will have to Carl Sagan is that she will be dead too. Okay, that is ridiculous, lock her in for 15 years. Maybe less dumb, but still pretty dumb, I'm betting. I had to take time away from my busy work schedule today for a trip to the dentist. As I often say, any reason to leave work early is a good reason, even the dentist. I was supposed to get my two new crowns installed today. I have been going around the past two weeks with temporary crowns, which made me the object of cruel barbs from superiorly dentally-endowed bullies. Today was the day I was going to strut up to one of these photogenic clowns and say, "Check out these choppers, Pretty Boy." Well, that was the plan anyway. What actually happened was that my dentist wasn't satisfied with the fit, so he put the temporary crowns back in and I have to go back next week. In another revolting bit of dental-related news, the weasels at MetLife Dental, where the corporate motto is, If we knew you had teeth, we wouldn't have sold you the insurance, only paid $566 of the $1820 of charges to get the two crowns installed and another tooth repaired. You may be thinking, Shut up Sneed, I don't even have stinking dental insurance. Well, neither would I except my employer provides it. Between us, we pay the MetLife weasels over $1200 per year. For that, I get up to $2000 of dental work yearly, after a $75 annual deductible. The hitch is that it is almost impossible to get that much out of them, because there is a huge gap between what they think a procedure should cost and what the dentist thinks it should cost. Their coverage is based upon what they think things ought to cost. The way I figure it, I would have to get $6500 of work done each year to get the $2000. Oh, and there are bunchs of stuff they don't cover, no matter what, so I'd probably have to spend like 10 grand worth. For instance, I have a 25-year-old crown that needs to be replaced, but they won't cover it because it is a replacement and not a new situation. I guess partial payment is better than no payment, but I still think we are getting ripped off. In other news, Sadie the Wonder Mutt, got a blue Bic pen from somewhere and chewed it up on the lovely Mrs. Sneed's new carpet. Alcohol is useful for removing pen ink from carpet, should you ever need to know. Anyone want a free 11-month-old purebred Beagle? (I'm not kidding). Merle Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky Tag:

1 comment:

Kurt said...

My dentist knew people at the insurance company and he would get stuff approved and covered. Back when I had insurance, that is.