Nov 11, 2008

“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.”--P. J. O'Rourke If your housekey looks like this, you are in good company. This is the Kwikset KW1 blank, arguably the most common key blank in use for house locks. I should know because I make about a hundred of these suckers everyday. I don't have a magic box like they do at Lowes or Home Depot, where you just put in a key and get a copy. We use an old-fashioned key machine. Sometimes the keys Lowe's and Home Depot keys actually work, but many don't, based on what my customers tell me when they come in for a working copy. A lock's tumbler is an elegantly simple, but extremely precise device. A mistake of a fraction of an inch can keep a copy from working. Most people understand this, but some don't. I personally never need a key made, but lots of people do, which is good for the hardware store. A key blank cost about 15 cents when bought in bulk and most places sell cut keys for a buck fifty or so. There is money in keys, if you have volume. We have a ton of rentals around our store so lots of landlords and tenants are in need of a new key. Especially around the first of the month, when tenants run off with the keys and landlords have to get new copies. I hear every imaginable reason for people to need keys. Some folks just plain lose them, sometimes they wear out. New boyfriends or girlfriends require a new copy. Lots of adult children come in to get copies of their elderly parents keys. We get a lot of keys, especially car keys, that have been broken in half. Sometimes we can make a working copy, but not always. We get keys that are so worn that they are metal wafers. These are hard to copy. I made ten sets of keys for a guy who was giving them out to his nine partners in a time-share in Mexico. I hope he took them to Mexico and tried them before he handed them out. I would hope that no one went to Mexico only to find that their key didn't work correctly. I re-keyed eight locks a few weeks ago for a guy who's estranged wife sneaked into his house and stole all his keys, leaving him locked out. One of my favorite stories is about a guy who came in to make a set of car keys. It seems that his son was moving his family from Denver to Hooterville and the car keys were accidentally packed in a box tha the movers took. He was going to FedEX them a set from his spares. I told him that any locksmith in Denver could fix the problem in an hour, but he was set on a plan and there was no talking him out of it. Many people in the store don't like to make keys, but I find it interesting. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

8 comments:

Megan said...

When I moved, I collected from family members (and utility drawers) all the keys to the duplex that I had made over the three and a half years we were there.

The surprise on her face when I handed her a big jangling bunch was a fun thing to see.

Anonymous said...

As a kid my two favorite businesses on my street were the locksmith/ key making guy and the shoe repair / shoe shine shop guys. They seemed to always be busy and in good moods.

Kurt said...

Would you fall for this: a guy (say, me) brings in a key, and the top half is roughly filed, possibly to remove the "Do not duplicate" warning?

Reya Mellicker said...

Very cool post!

When I need a key made, I'm always interested to watch the Key Guy at work. (Our local hardware store, Frager's, does not have a box...just a couple of old fashioned key making machines.)

I have a couple of skeleton keys that I picked up at an antique store. They're so beautiful. I wonder why they're called skeleton keys? Do you know?

Steve Reed said...

I used to make keys when I worked at a hardware store back in college. We had a machine where we'd clamp the key on one side and a blank on the other, and the machine would trace the contours of the key while simultaneously cutting them into the blank. They new keys often didn't work. (Probably because a dopey college kid was making them.)

Jams said...

My brother has given out keys to half the people in our City: carpenters, plumbers, housekeeper, and on and on. After his present girlfriend walked into his house to find his last girlfriend collecting a few things, he's leaning toward changing the locks.

Great post, by the way. You have a real knack for making an ordinary topic very interesting and entertaining. Seriously.

Squirrel said...

In olden times they might say "He was Keyed Up" when he was overexcited. Why is that?

bitchlet said...

Can you tell me how the key machine works?