Oct 15, 2008

“I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.”--Walt Whitman The Philadelphia Phillies won the National League pennant tonight and I'm happy about that. Merle Wayne Sneed is a baseball fan and a lifelong Phillies fan, which is odd for a guy who has only been to Philadelphia once in his life. I'm not a hardcore fan, I can't pull up current statistics or even tell you who's leading the league most of the time. I enjoy baseball when I have the chance to see it, and I follow my Phils throughout the season, at least until they are out of contention. Beyond that, I don't pay that much attention. Baseball is a game that everyone can understand. The strategy is plain for all to see. Unlike football, where there are dozens of things happening on the field at any time and dozens of plays, baseball is elegant in its simplicity. Last week, my oldest son called me to ask why I was a Phillies fan. Evidently he and his wife had been speculating about it and decided to go right to the source for an answer. When I was eight and living in Omaha, my first little league baseball team was the Phillies. The story is no more complicated than that. The protocol for eight-year-olds was that you rooted for the major league team of the same name as your little league team. Over the little league years I played on teams called the Dodgers, White Sox and the Reds, but I always remained a fan of the Phillies, I just couldn't shake them. When I was twelve, I was beaned by a fastball thrown by a kid named Karl and serious injured. Even though, I continued to play baseball after that, I was never the same. I never lost my fear of being beaned again. Through the sixties and seventies, I agonized over my love for the Phillies because they were horrible, rivaling the Cubs in futility. I tried to switch my allegiance to the Dodgers, but it just wouldn't take. I was thrilled in 1980 when the Phils won the World Series and disappointed in 1983 and 1993 when they lost it. Over the years I have been fortunate to visit the major league ballparks in a half dozen or so cities. Mrs. Sneed is always a good sport about going to the games, even though she positively hates it. So, the Phillies are on to the World Series, where I will hope the best for them. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

9 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

My exie was a Dodger... played for 5 years in the minor leagues... back in the early 80's....

A in Lodi,
AA in San Antonio and
AAA in Alberquerque sp?

He said he went "to the show" for two weeks...
threw out his rotator cuff sp?

I never got to travel around w/ him b/c we had a baby... but...

he loved baseball...and it was a GRRRREAT life for HIM....

I didn't have as much fun b/c he was gone...... there were groupies like crazy trying to steal away our husbands... they were relentless... they did not care if the boys were married ...

you would not believe some of the stuff they would do....

I yi yi...

Reya Mellicker said...

All the coolest people like baseball.

Football is the most boring thing to watch. To my (uneducated eye) it looks like a bunch of guys hunkering down, then they run around for 30 seconds, and then there's a time out because someone has been injured. Then commercials. Repeat.

One of my clients taught me how to enjoy baseball games. She said, "Eat peanuts, drink beer, get all sweaty and dirty. When everyone else cheers, you cheer, too."

I like the outfits and I like baseball players' names. I am pro-baseball, and I vote.

Nan Patience said...

The Phillies fans are really coming out of the woodwork.

Kurt said...

At the ball park is about the only place I can stand the game.

I did follow the world series a few years ago, but it seemed like the games were much more action-packed than regular games.

Jams said...

"I tried to switch my allegiance to the Dodgers, but it just wouldn't take."

This is a very telling statement. Loyalty ain't bad.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I saw the phillies once a few years ago when I visited philadelphia - it was a great time and a lovely stadium.

nothing like live baseball in my book - however, I will watch games on tv once the season gets to play off time and the world series.

as a person whose parents' families are from pennsylvania not surprisingly my family tree is filled with all sorts of philly phanatics

I'll be rooting for philadelphia in the world series even if they play my once beloved red sox (when I moved to cleveland from connecticut my 'home town' allegiance switched for the red sox to the indians.... unfortunately the indians have been having a pretty hard time of it....through no fault but their own!

A Concerned Citizen said...

I never appreciated baseball until the first time I saw a live game - the Durham Bulls at the old Durham ball park, while I was in college. It was like stepping back in time and also stepping into a simpler way of life. Fantastic!

Megan said...

I am so glad the Dodgers lost. However, my neighbors are so not. No one understood how I could smile this morning.

I encourage all baseball fans to try the scene at Spring Training. Scottsdale = Happiness.

Queen of France said...

As a lifelong Phillies fan, (and all teams Philadelphia - my dad grew up in South Philly so we had no chance to like any other team. If you're not from Philadelphia - you won't understand so don't even try.) all i can say is

GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!

WHOOT!!!