Aug 10, 2008

Sunday

This lovely little plant is a Sago Palm, which is not really a palm at all. It is a cycas revoluta, and is a descendant from ancient Mesopotamian flora. From an evolutionary standpoint it is still a rather primitive plant. This is a view from directly above the plant. It is a monocot, meaning that all the growth springs from a single point at the top center of the plant. Think of how a palm tree sprouts fronds to get the idea. Dicots, which includes most plants that we commonly see, have many growing points along their branches. I really like this little plant. I did something most unSneed-like last evening, I went to a party. The lovely Mrs. Sneed and I attended the birthday party of my very close friend of 25-years. The attendees were a mix of about one-quarter people I knew from my previous employment and three-quarters were strangers. Consistent with my desire to keep my circle of acquaintances tight, I avoided most of the strangers. We spent most of the evening chatting with another couple. I knew the husband because I worked with him in the 1970s and 1980s. He left our company many years ago and has run his own print business since. I occasionally run into him at a store around town. This fellow told Mrs. Sneed a story about me that I had never heard before or if I have, I do not recall it. It made me think about how the smallest events in life have a big impact. Evidently, years ago, about 1970, I was sitting in the parking lot of convenience store in my company truck, when this guy spied me and came over to ask about how he could get a job at my company. He says that my advice was to apply and then pester the human resources folks often for a job. The more often, the higher likelihood of success. The story rings true because that is exactly how I got my job. I applied and then hounded them unmercifully. So, that is exactly the advice I would have given. Anyway, he followed that tactic and it worked out. According to this fellow, that lead to a ten-year career during which he met his future wife and married her. That job gave him a pathway to buy and operate his successful business. According to him anyway, one conversation with a doofus like me got him to where he is today. Sometime or another, we have all thought of what might have happened 'if only'. Usually we focus on the negative. That fender-bender would not have happened if we left home a minute earlier or later, that sort of thing. The million good things that happened because of their timing, go more unnoticed. Life is like a maze. For better or for worse, one turn changes all the turns that come after it. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

13 comments:

Evening Star said...

This was an inspiring post.
Your advice was honest, and he may have sensed that--anyway he followed it.

Kurt said...

I would have been a famous actor, if only I has taken acting lessons, moved to LA, went to auditions, got my teeth fixed, and been really pushy.

Steve Reed said...

What a great story! It's cool that you had such a meaningful influence on someone's life!

(Hugh Beaumont has a blog? Does Bob Dylan know?)

Steve Reed said...

By the way, don't know whether you've heard this, but there's apparently a mysterious affliction killing sago palms, particularly in Florida. I think it's a fungus of some kind. Hopefully you're immune to those out in the dry climate of Arizona.

tut-tut said...

Best to look on the sunny side; otherwise, you would have ended up at the Baroque concert with me this afternoon.

Coffee Messiah said...

When I started out in the working world, I was given the same advice.

I tried to get into the paper in SF when I was 18, and was told I had to be 25. When I was 24, I started going to the Union every Mon at 9am. They hired me when I turned 25. Then they reversed the hiring age back to 18.

Would have had 25 yrs there before I left, rather than the 18.

That seems to be the difference today: perseverance.

When we had our store, we'd get calls at 4 in the afternoon asking if we were hiring. I answered: Not over the phone.

Then one time we had a guy come in the afternoon also, in a t shirt and shorts. Looked like he just woke up.

Oh well, each to their own style of job searching I guess.

And C, it's the little things that magnify the most. ; )

bitchlet said...

I knew you have fans!

Reya Mellicker said...

What a cool story! It does ring true because it sounds exactly like the kind of advice you would give - totally practical and relentless, too.

How wonderful that the guy remembers and gives you credit for that momentous turn in his destiny. See? Destiny is participatory. Very cool!

Love the plant. It does look primitive. Have a wonderful day today, oh ye mighty spinner of wonderful fate!

Unknown said...

My mom has a few of those plants. I'd never thought about how primitive they look before. I guess when you see them everywhere for years and year you just don't notice how special something is.

I like that story.

Megan said...

"Consistent with my desire to keep my circle of acquaintances tight, I avoided most of the strangers."

But Merle, think of all those people who could have benefited from your advice! You are denying them the Power of Sneed!

Gledwood said...

I like your caveat. Maybe I should put one on mine saying I cannot guarantee that I'm not just dreaming about posting rather than actually doing it... and if you happen to be reading my words: hey man, you tripped into my dream... (or did you...??? {;->...)

Squirrel said...

The Power of Sneed must be REAL--great advice AND married 40 years to a wonderful lady--I take my hat off to you!

Bobby D. said...

Gee Whiz, Merle! Another swell post! How do you do it?