Sep 5, 2007

Operators Are Standing By Now

I took this picture of the San Diego skyline. This angle is from Coronado Island. Our hotel is the building at the far right in the picture.


Ah, back to the old grind. Each visit to San Diego rekindles my longing to live in downtown San Diego. I am only about $400,000 short of being able to pull it off. Try as I might, I can't think of a way to get my hands on that kind of money.

Considering the success of the telethon over the weekend, I have toyed with the idea of running a telethon to raise money for my dream condo. If people will give money to that old gasbag Jerry Lewis, surely they would chip in to help a poor old retired guy live his dream. Drop me a note if you can help.

Speaking of the old gasbag, Jerry not me, I understand that he called someone a faggot on the telethon. Nice. That is about the level of discourse I expect of the old fool.

Perhaps my dislike for the Jerry Lewis telethon seems mean-spirited and it probably is, but the telethon has become a manipulative pity-a-thon. The whole affair is crafted to tug at America's heartstrings. It is sappy beyond belief and at the end of the day, I'm not sure how much good it really does.

Years ago when we were young and struggling, we used to shop at a Kmart near our house. There was this very obnoxious guy who had evidently devoted his life to raising money for "Jerry's Kids", because pretty much every evening he was stationed at the front door asking for money. A guy could do worse things in life, but this guy would become belligerent if you refused him.

One evening as we tried to pass, he asked and I declined. This just made him unhappy and he said so. The lovely Mrs. Sneed looked him right in the eye and said, "We hate Jerry's Kids". The look on his face was priceless.

In other news, I had to go to the Extension Service today to drop off some paperwork for the Master Gardner program. Since it is just a mile from my former office, I popped in to see my old coworkers. It was a good reminder of how good retirement is. I felt like I was visiting inmates.







Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

4 comments:

Kurt said...

Your married wisely. Does Mrs. Sneed have a sister?

Flawed And Disorderly said...

Mrs. Sneed! Feisty!

Reya Mellicker said...

Mrs. Sneed, I salute you!

Steve Reed said...

I liked Jerry Lewis a lot -- when I was about 10 years old.

Mrs. Sneed's comment was priceless.