Jul 12, 2007


I was out bright and early this morning confirming once again that I am not so good at golf. The Seafood King, Some Guy Named Bob and I, were joined by a new guy named Charlie. Seafood Jr. has officially given up on golf because he can't bear the heat. Junior is a pretty rotund young fellow, so he really wears out quickly.

Speaking of rotundness, I see in the news that the English Food and Drink Federation is contemplating adding a 17.5% tax on the price of fatty, sugary and salty foods. The thinking is that the higher costs will cut consumption and save lives. I doubt it.

When I was a kid we didn't have money for things like doughnuts, so my mother would sometimes make a fried dough concoction that she called doughnuts. She would take a tube of those biscuits that you can bake at home, punch a hole in the middle, deep fry them and toss them into a paper bag with cinnamon and sugar. Instant fake doughnuts that we absolutely loved. She also used to make corn and apple fritters. In fact about everything we ate was fried. That explains a lot.

Son Sneed is being transferred today to a more longterm facility than the one he is at. He will be getting his Electro Convulsive Therapy there and we all hope it will do him some good. He talked to the agency that manages his care and they are going to find him an apartment in one of their buildings. He is real anxious to get out of our house and be on his own, more or less.

I was just cleaning the garage because the bug man is coming this afternoon. Son Sneed is a skilled woodworker and has a bunch of woodworking devices in our garage, basically taking up space. He developed an irrational fear of cutting off his fingers and has stopped his woodworking altogether.

I actually like it when he doesn't build stuff in the garage because he doesn't clean up after himself. There was sawdust in every nook and cranny of the garage. I had to move the shelves and all the stuff away from the walls so that the guy can spray. Everything that I moved unearthed an new pile of sawdust.











Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky


Tag:

6 comments:

Bobby D. said...

everytime i go into the garage i think " i have to clean this place out" but then i think i will need a ladder to reach high shelves, and it is all dusty and cobwebby.

Fred said...

frosty donuts are GGreat, fills you up and out! YAY.

Steve Reed said...

That donut technique of your Mom's is pretty smart! Moms are ingenious, aren't they?

I totally understand Son Sneed's fear re. woodworking. I have a bizarre fear of kitchen graters for the same reason. It's not so bad that it stops me from using them, and I've never hurt myself with one, but I'm always nervous that I will accidentally grate my hand.

Kurt said...

I don't think that fear is irrational. I check my hands after using power tools to see if my fingers are still there. And one of the reasons I quit my job is because I was sure that eventually I would chop off some fingers on the paper cutter. Not now!

Bobby D. said...

I don't like to do any work at all--I might hurt myself.

Flawed And Disorderly said...

Good luck to Son Sneed! Does he read your blog? I think it's kind of amusing how up front you are with your feelings about things. You don't hold back. It's refreshing. My dad laughed and laughed when I told him how glad you were to have the Sneedlet gone for a while. My parents are taking the kids this weekend, so he'll know just how you feel by the time it's over. BTW, I'm in the process of writing a post that mentions you!