Jul 14, 2006

Home, Sweet Home

The same guys who predicted 109 degress F yesterday also forecast dry conditions. Of course we had rain last evening, not that I am complaining mind you. Today's paper predicts more of the same. Imagine that, hot in Arizona in July! Here's another thing. Perhaps you have seen this commercial for the Suzuki Grand Vitara. A guy in a suit, kisses his wife goodbye and leaps off a cliff with a parachute, lands next to a Suzuki Grand Vitara, which is sitting on flat ground. He climbs in and presumably goes off to work. My questions are, if he parachutes from his house to his car, why does he need an SUV and how does he get home at night? Parachute back up? What is the message they are trying to send us? These are very cool pictures. I was out wandering around, looking for something to photograph and I spied a nest in this cholla cactus. If you click on the image above and look closely at the center of the plant you might see a few twigs from the nest. Closer inspection revealed that the nest contained two eggs. I am 99% sure that they are Curved-Billed Thrasher eggs. The nest, which appears to be in the open in the photo below, is deep within the cactus. Your humble writer risked being impaled to get this shot. I weaved my arm into the plant holding my camera and shot several images blindly. This type of cholla has fewer needles than the Teddy Bear variety and the segments don't detach as easily. I thought I had escaped unscathed only to discover 4 or 5 needles in my upper arm. They have barbs on the end which makes them tough to pull out. The eggs are bluish with brown speckles. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong and sometimes just full of it. Tag:

No comments: