Mar 1, 2009

Me and my posse. We may be in the grips of the worst recession since the Great Depression, but you sure couldn't prove it by the hardware store yesterday. Twice yearly, Ace runs a "Bag Sale", where supposedly anything you can fit into a paper shopping bag is 20% off the regular price. In reality, the 20% applies to anything in stock, whether or not it actually fits into the bag. There are a few things that are limited to 10% off because of the low margin on them. The expectations were low for yesterday's Bag Sale, with the recession going on and all. According to news reports the US work force is divided into two categories, those who have lost their jobs and those scheduled to lose them this week. So we didn't expect to break any records. When I showed up for work at 6:30 a.m., yes you read that right, 6:30, there were five customers waiting for the store to open at seven. It was kind of bizarre because our prices are a tad higher than the big stores anyway, so you can go to Home Depot and Lowes and get our stuff on sale everyday. But there they stood in the cool early morning darkness, waiting. The first two women in the door at opening, provided the answer. We were giving reusable grocery sacks to the first fifty customers in the door and they were lined up to be sure that they got one. These are the same kind of bags you can get for a buck in any grocery store. Go figure. Anyway, we had over seven hundred paying customers yesterday, about forty percent more than an average Saturday. They spent about three times the amount of a normal Saturday, so it was a rousing success and quite a surprise to the management. In a surprise to the little people, they are giving us an 8% bonus for February. Not bad. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

15 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Look how cute you all are!!!

You and the little sneedlets.

Barbara said...

Great family picture. In a few years that little girl is going to be in charge, mark my word!

As for the economy, there is not much you can predict these days. No one seems to know whether we're supposed to be spending or saving to get things back on track.

Jams said...

Love the pic. You're a lucky man.

My sister would stand in line two days to get something free and then blow everything she saved at bingo.

e said...

Cute posse, Merle! I'm glad you all did well. I don't think any of us knows what to do in this economy. We didn't know much before this crisis either, or we would not have ended up in this mess. I heard an interesting point recently: We can blame Wall Street and the Banks, but almost every citizen in this country is over-extended with credit cards, loans, etc. We have such a bloated sense of normalcy that we think it is normal or proper to live this way...

I like Dave Ramsey. Thanks for the recommendation.

Megan said...

I didn't get up until after nine.

Coffee Messiah said...

What a great photo ; )

What a sale, eh? ; )

Kurt said...

Maybe its like the auto parts business right now. People aren't buying new, so they have to fix what they got, hence the run on auto parts and hardware.

Steve Reed said...

Great photo! Is that the first full-on Merle pic we've seen? I think it might be...

I think the bargain hunters really turn out during economic crunches, because they think they're "saving money." Whereas if they just didn't buy all that stuff they'd save a lot more! :)

Unknown said...

Hello “Merle wayne sneed” author,

As a fellow blogger I came across you blog whilst surfing the net...

Great site, great posts too!

So I have a little offer for you...

The company I work for would like to pay you to put a text link to a credit card site on your blog. I have not seen any other deals already, but would love to make you an offer anyway. I’m sure we can come up with some good terms?!

The website is called creditcardmenu.com and we will be launching a new fantastic looking credit card review and comparison service which is free to our customers; advertising with sites like your should be great for our profile.

So let the bartering begin??!

Oh and keep on blogging!

Alex Preece
Bad with my money, great with other peoples!
Negotiator
Giant Investments
(I am based in London, England so excuse the weird times you get this email!)

E: alex.preece@giant.org.uk
T: 01273 224002
M: 07976 989946

A Concerned Citizen said...

Steve, you missed another full-on Merle pic while you were, um, on sabbatical. I think I speak for everyone here when I say I'm glad you're are back!

Merle, it is, as all the others already have said, a wonderful photograph. I love seeing you, especially with all those adorable Sneedlets!

One of my neighbors reported that our local hardware store, Fragers, had a banner day this past Saturday as well. My theory on that is that the hardware stores will weather this recession much better than most other types of retail outlets -- people aren't going to want to pay repairmen and contractors and so will be doing more and more themselves, which will have them going to the hardware store a lot more often. Who knows -- maybe Jeff and I will even attempt to replace our deck oursevles come spring. Probably not, but you never know. (: )

Reya Mellicker said...

There's a glamour about being the first customer that eludes me. At 6:30 all I want is my cup of coffee.

The pic is beautiful. Love the pink hair band on the tiniest Sneedlet. Adorable!

And you know I always love seeing your face, too.

Squirrel said...

Nice Photo-- kids love grandpa.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Hey! What's my dog doing waiting to get in your back door?

Perpetual Chocoholic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mouse (aka kimy) said...

what a great posse and grandpa the posse has!!!! but why is the pup left out, she looks very sad to be excluded!

hey if I had known you were giving away bags I'd have figured out how to get to hooterville and gotten in line at 5 ....