Dec 28, 2008

Decorating for Christmas is swell until you have to un-decorate. That will be coming up on New Year's Day. Actually, Mrs. Sneed will do most of the un-decorating. Since she did most of the decorating, okay all the decorating, it seems only fair that she take it down. I will have to carry the boxes out to the shed and figure out how to cram all the stuff in it. It's what I like to call, "the hard part." Something else. I rarely watch live TV, thanks to the invention of TIVO, but when I do I'm always left with the same thought. It is impossible to switch on a program during its live run time and not find it in the middle of a commercial. How is that possible? Pick any channel and switch to it at random if you don't believe me. A few words about football. Blogger Megan and I shared a hope for today. We hoped that the Phildelphia Eagles would pound the Dallas Cowboys in their big game today. Both the Eagles and Cowboys had an opportunity to be the last team in the playoffs with a win. The Eagles came through and smashed the Cowboys. Even by the NFL's low standards for character, the Cowboys are a dysfunctional mess. I heard someone refer to them today as the Cowgirls, which I think insults both cows and girls. It doesn't help that the Seafood King is a huge Cowboy fan who doesn't get that 50-year-old men are not supposed to still be super fans. When he talks about the Cowboys, he says "we" and "us", as though he's suiting up next week or has an ownership interest in the team. Since it is the Christmas season, I have one last thought. Many men and to a lesser extent, women, got pro sports attire for Christmas. Many are unfamiliar with the dress code as it applies to these items. It is inappropriate for grown men and women to appear in public wearing sports jerseys. I'm setting the limit at 25. Any older than that, I don't want to see you at the mall or in the grocery store wearing a jersey with "Romo" or "Manning" on the back. It looks ridiculous. Just trying to help out. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

11 comments:

10 lbs of awesome in a 5 lb bag said...

It doesn't help that the Seafood King is a huge Cowboy fan who doesn't get that 50-year-old men are not supposed to still be super fans. When he talks about the Cowboys, he says "we" and "us", as though he's suiting up next week or has an ownership interest in the team.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Megan said...

I was hoping the Lions would win. Hate to see a team go 0-fer.

I would argue that if it is game day and you're in the grocery store buying party supplies, then your jersey is allowed.

Reya Mellicker said...

I think anyone who isn't playing in a game, no matter the age, looks silly in pro-sports shirts.

Same goes for bike riders who wear the spandex covered with ads for bike tires, etc.

A Concerned Citizen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the debit card theft. What a pain in the rear end. At least your credit union appears to be honoring your right to get your money back (pursuant to a somewhat convoluted process set forth in Regulation E of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System). Let me know if you have any trouble - I can put my payment lawyer hat back on if need be.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

My sibling, his partner, my mother possibly father, etc...all looked like billboards for their favourite sports team at Christmas dinner. I just shake my head. At least they weren't out in public.

Steve Reed said...

Unless, of course, you ARE Romo or Manning...

New Year's Day?? I thought decorations were supposed to stay up until Epiphany, on Jan. 6. That's what my grandmother's neighbor used to say, anyway.

Barbara said...

I'll certainly heed your advice if I ever in my lifetime acquire any sporting attire.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

around my hood many folks christmas decorations up until easter. and then there are those who favor taking them down for memorial day....

since I was the only person in the family that ever seemed to decorate the tree, about 8 years ago I abandoned the tradition....now we throw a sting of lights on the norfork pine, and pull out a few random trinkets - I channel all my holiday ya-yas into making food, listening to good seasonal music and hanging with family and friends

Avid Reader said...

I took my tree out this morning. It was pretty dried out already. Now it's mulch.

Kurt said...

Can we set that limit at 0 years old?

Jams said...

I would never see anything in its entirety if I didn't have TIVO. I'm interrupted a half dozen times during a 2 hour movie. That's what happens when you live in the midst of relatives.

I agree about the sports attire.