Sep 13, 2008

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was? - - Satchel Paige Well, both of the Sneedlets, Aiden and Noah have turned five years old. Imagine that, it seems like yesterday that they were just newborns. Noah's birthday party was today at his house. I was able to attend due to a fluke in my schedule at the hardware store. I've worked so many hours this week that they had to let me off early or pay me overtime. The little boys are at the age where they are trying out words that they hear. Things are no longer broken, they are damaged. One guy told his grandma that a plane has to have two wings to fly properly. Little Aiden is a bit less than a month older than Noah and was able to start kindergarten this year. Noah missed starting kindergarten by ten days Aiden is attending a school where there are actual expectations for the students, so he is really learning things. He has weekly spelling words and sight words. Some might think that this is too much for children this young, but I think it is good for them. When I was a student teacher in a fifth grade, I struggled with what to expect from the students. My supervising teacher told me that I was expecting the students to 'make connections' across the curriculum and that they are not able to. For instance, I wanted to have a theme for my time in the class on adaptations. My thinking was to teach them about how people and things adapt to their environment, using the subjects and lessons they were already learning. I lost that debate with my supervisor. Anyway, we had a good time at the party, as always. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know you were a teacher! Making connections is supposed to be all the rage these days.

bitchlet said...

Here they have just begun to slowly realise that learning by rote is overrated.

[ Which one is which? and what happened to make him sulk?]

dennis said...

Dennis wonders if there was good savory food at the party.

Coffee Messiah said...

They do grow fast don't they?

Not surprising they can actually make connections.....

It sounds like you were a great addition to the classroom, although they were too closed minded to C @ the time. Too bad, the kids were the losers! ; (

tut-tut said...

They are cute. Too bad schools have such unyielding cutoff times. L missed out by 5 days at the kindergarten end of things, but in high school it's better to be on the older end of the bell curve than the younger, we've found.

Kurt said...

What about stupid kids who can't make connections? Who will think of them?

A Concerned Citizen said...

"Sneedlets" -- I love it! Happy fifth birthday to them both. They are adorable.

I think that Aiden is lucky to be getting mental stimulation in the classroom at such a young age.
The more I learn about the state of modern education, the more scared I become for the future of our country. My fiance's youngest child, who will soon be 13, attends purportedly excellent public schools in an affluent DC suburb. I recently learned that he gets to use a calculator in math class, has not yet learned how to diagram a sentence (and probably never will), and thinks that the Internet is the only way to find definitions of words.

Sigh, sigh. I'm heartsick, but not surprised, that your supervisor quashed your efforts to add creativity and critical thought to the fifth grade curriculum. Good for you for trying, though.

Nan Patience said...

Ah yes, connections. That's a tough thing.

When I was a kindergartener, there were less expectations. I think we easily spent a half day cutting out shapes, gluing stuff, and having snack/story/nap time with time to spare to stare at the kids who were still peeing themselves.

Reya Mellicker said...

Happy birthday Sneedlets, and many many more!! Glad they celebrated "properly."

I believe in life-long learning. Start young, never stop until the day you die. Oh yeah!

Steve Reed said...

Happy Birthday to the Sneedlets! I think it's great to push kids a bit when it comes to learning. I never got pushed in school, and as a result, I am totally lazy.