Aug 5, 2008

In all the hoopla over the car insurance yesterday, I missed posting about the subject that I intended to post about. Longtime readers may recall that I joined the Master Gardener program through our local extension service. Following the educational portion of the training, I volunteered to work with the rose garden committee. What I quickly discovered was that this organization consisted of a bunch of older people with too much time on their hands. They have entirely too many rules for me, very inflexible rules. They are forever sending out cautionary and instructive emails. By joining I violated Merle Wanye Sneed's first rule of organizations, which is to never join an organization. They had rules for everything. So many hours worked by April 1st, so many by year end, you must work this event or that event. All committee work is to be done on on a specific day of the week. With the introduction of my swell hardware job into the mix that is my life, things really got messy. My schedule at work kept me from making it to work day at the garden. Especially when you factor golf into the mix. As it turns out, the garden folks are better at making rules than enforcing their rules. I wasn't as kicked out as I thought. The rose committee doesn't meet over the summer when it's about a hundred and plenty in Hooterville, but the roses still require some care. Someone has to make sure that the watering system is working, weeds are pulled and the roses are deadheaded. I volunteered to take the first part of this month to help out, not knowing whether I was still a member or not. I had visions of tastefully dressed older people chasing me out of the garden, screaming "interloper". Yesterday I spent three hours working all by myself in the rose garden. It was glorious, I forgot how much I enjoy the work, despite the inherent problems in organizations. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too loved working in the various gardens of our MG program. What I couldn't take were all the ridiculous angry debates over stuff like compost piles, inflexible rules, and politics. I stayed out of the politics, and showed up only when I had to.

Our leader insisted we call all plants by their latin names and would correct you very sharply if you called a Hemerocallis a 'day lily'.

edward said...

flowers are pretty.

Kurt said...

I miss work sometimes.

bitchlet said...

Does working alone really count as working in an organisation?

Anonymous said...

Can I just hire you to drive to Denver and work in my garden? You'll be saving me from pouring concrete on the mess next summer: http://mommyiamhome.blogspot.com/2008/07/what-i-wont-be-doing-next-summer.html

Steve Reed said...

Well, thank goodness they're flexible about enforcement!

Megan said...

I've got some rosebushes but I am not allowed to tend them. The gardener gets mad.