Aug 21, 2008

Congratulations

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."--John Heywood (Maybe) Last week I received something totally unexpected in the mail. Tedious Systems sent me a letter congratulating me on my recent retirement. It was odd in addition to being unexpected, because I retired thirteen months ago. Perhaps the paperwork was lost under someone's desk or something. Or maybe they just now noticed that I am gone. Whatever the reason for the timing of the letter, it included a brochure featuring 48 fine gifts from which I could choose, as a token of appreciation for my 36 and a half years of dedicated service. You would think that among 48 fine gifts I would see something that I really wanted. But I didn't. There was a table saw, some power tools, a several clocks, cameras, video recorders, many rings, watches, two bikes, exercise equipment and so on. Nothing struck my fancy, so I settled on the Mead Spotting Scope shown above. I'm not sure what I will do with it, aside from spying on the neighbors. The interesting thing is that this isn't my first retirement from Tedious Systems. In 2001 I got a year's pay and a clock to retire. Then they paid me to come back. I got a watch a couple of years ago for having reached 35 years with the company. I've never worn the watch. I figure the kids can argue over it when I die. Loser has to take the watch. Maybe they will send me another letter asking for this gift back. They better hurry, I might sell it on eBay. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

8 comments:

seven of seven said...

I administer the service award program for my company and I know exactly what you're talking about. The stuff the vendors try to sell me on is crap!

I guess I'd pick something out that I think I could get some money on Ebay or something I could regift!

Congratulations on your retirement, MWS - even if it is 13 months late. :)

Marcia said...

i hope they dont send you an I-9 form for taxes on this gift. When i "retired" from my Big Hotel job last year, I received the form. When I figured out my taxes it was going to cost me 378.00 I promptly boxed my gift right back up and shipped it back to the big hotel for 14.00. Put the i-9 form in the nice notice that I sent them, saying, Its now your tax gift, not mine. GOOD LUCK

bitchlet said...

I don't need this gift because the buildings in my neighbourhood are so close together that I would just have to stand at the window to find out what the neighbours are cooking.

Kurt said...

You chose wisely.

Nan Patience said...

People frequently don't realize what they've got til it's gone.

Megan said...

I like the lost under someone's desk theory.

edward said...

the scope looks scary, but fun.

Bobby D. said...

you can finally learn all the constellations and bore people with stories about them.