Dec 8, 2007

Can I Put A Giant Red Bow On That Sweater?

What's the deal with the Lexus commercials where people give their loved ones new Lexus cars and SUVs, with giant red bows, for Christmas? Am I living in a parallel universe here? In my world you might get the big red bow, but you're not getting a car. According to CarsDirect.com, a bargain car finder, the cheapest you can buy a Lexus of any type is $31,044. That exceeds the Sneed Christmas gift limit by about $30,800. I plan on paying off Casa Sneed in January. We owe $44,000 on the mortgage. Let me see, what would I rather have, a paid off house, or a car depreciating as fast as I can pay for it? Hmm. Since I'm just a hick from Hooterville, I don't know many folks who can pony up $31,044 + taxes and fees for the cheapest Lexus, let alone the $100k models. Lexus must be looking at the high-rolling Wall Street or doctor/lawyer types. An aside. Did you know that when taken as a group doctors and lawyers are among the least financially secure groups of people? Not all, but as a group. Actually, I suspect that they are looking for the middle class sorts who are willing to over-extend themselves for one of these rolling money pits. If Lexus told us the truth, the commercial would still show a guy surprising his sweetie, but this would be the dialog. Her: Oh my God, a new 2008 Lexus RX for Christmas! I love this car. Him: Merry Christmas honey, I love you. Her: I love you too, Bob. But can we afford it? Him: That's the best part. I leased it for only $575 a month. Of course we will have to cut back on little Madison and Trevor's college funds for awhile. Oh yeah, I emptied out our saving for the payment due at signing, but it's worth it, this is for us honey, we deserve it. Him: Can you imagine the look on the faces of our families when we roll up in this? Her: This really is a December to Remember! Both laugh. So there's, my nag of the day. I had another visit with the eye doctor yesterday and things remain about the same. I'm due back on Tuesday. After badgering my doctor for a more powerful pain killer, he finally gave me one. Of course it involved me staking out his office until he did. I popped one of the little beauties last night and spent the rest of the night wondering why it didn't stop the pain. If I left you a comment or replied to one of yours in the middle of the night, it was because my head was pounding and I couldn't sleep. I think I'm getting better though, becasue the headaches are mostly at night and not all the daytime, as they were. Plus my appetite is returning, so my twelve pound weight loss is not long for the world. Thanks to Reya and Ched for suggesting acupuncture, but I'm not getting my face stuck unless I reach desperation levels. It may be something to consider after the acute phase of this mess is over. Have a great weekend. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgmental and cranky

6 comments:

Fred said...

You posted this twice Sneed. Go back to bed and get some rest. Get well soon.

Steve Reed said...

Ha! C.U. beat me to it. I hope you get some sleep, Merle! (Though your writing is remarkably coherent for someone on painkillers, I have to say.)

I don't get those Lexus commercials, either. But then, I'm not a hedge fund manager.

Marcia said...

so good you had to post it twice huh. Good for you, for loving your skill!

Rick Rockhill said...

yeah those commercials always drive me crazy as well. I didn't grow up in a house where anyone was ever given a car as a gift! We worked to save up for such things!

hope you feel better soon...

Bobby D. said...

Yer lookin at a cat who drives an 11 year old car and an 8 year old truck. Before these vehicles my car lasted 18 years before things got really bad.

my first car was a Comet that some old geezer sold me for $50. It was ready for the junkyard or so he thought. Imagine how upset he was to see me still buzzin around in it 3 years later!

Kurt said...

In my experience, weight loss due to illness is never long lasting.