Dec 22, 2006

I took this picture on my way to Hootenany Holler today. I think the cave looks interesting.


Sadie the Wonder Mutt is at her new home. Its a farm in Iowa, where she will have other dogs to play with, room to run free and children that will love her. Wait, that's where my mother said she took my German Shepard, Missy, when she really took her to the pound to be euthanized. I get confused.

No, Sadie is at one of my favorites places. Its a little place I like to think of as somewhere else. Actually, my coworker took her. She had two beagles and her 10 year-old dog died, leaving a grieving companion. Sadie will be its new pal. I didn't so much rid my self of a lot of bother, as I contributed to the cause of animal welfare. I'm a hell of a guy, come to think of it.

The lovely Mrs. Sneed and I have an unfortuate situation, grandchild speaking. Our adopted son, Cletus, is a bum. His girlfriend is also a bum, just not quite so much as Cletus. Together they have three little girls that we rarely see. In fact we haven't seen the older two since last Christmas I think, and I have never seen the one year-old, that I recall. Mrs. Sneed saw her because she was born at the same hospital where the lovely Mrs. Sneed works.

The children live with their maternal grandparents not exactly in the middle of nowhere, but you can definitely see the middle of nowhere from their house. Since we really don't know the maternal grandparents, we couldn't really come knocking at their door, even if we were inclined to. The little girls are more like the children of a former neighbor that you might send a card to on special occasions than grandchildren. Plus it is not wise to become attached to them because they might vanish at any moment and we have had our share of heartache already. So we keep our distance. Even when they lived with mom and dad we rarely saw them, except when the parents used them as bait to get money from us.

This morning the lovely Mrs. Sneed gathered up the gifts for the girls from us and their aunt and uncle and I set out to deliver them to their home out in the desert somewhere. I called last evening to see if today would be okay for the delivery today and I was assured that it was. Be here all day, not a problem, come on out anytime.

Needless to say, in typical Sneed fashion, there was no one home. This isn't a place where you can just head home and come back later. It is an hour or so from here, down the interstate, turn left, turn left, go straight for 15 miles, turn left on the dirt road, right on the next one, third trailer on the left.

I rang their bell about ten times, called their number and I could hear the phone ring, but no one answered. So I left the gifts in their shed and hoped it would work out. Throughout the day I called a dozen times with no answer. So much for the home all day story.

I just got off the phone with the grandfather and they just got home. No explanation, on apology, no we forgot, no nothing. Perhaps you see why we have this arm's-length relationship.

Merle.





Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgemental and cranky


Tag:

No comments: