Dec 19, 2006

A Bunch Of Disconnected Thoughts

The lovley Mrs. Sneed loves to have an Amaryllis at Christmas. This is this year's model. Pretty nice, if you ask me.






I confess that I ate enough candy today to satisfy 10 normal people for a month. There must be a 12-step program for fools like me. Hello, I'm Merle and I like candy. I need a higher power to dope-slap me and make me stop. If only I believed in a higher power (other than the lovely Mrs. Sneed, of course). But regretfully its up to me to rein me in and after 56 years, I still haven't mastered that skill.

And then there's this. I've posted this before but road to financial stagnation, seems to include trips to WalMart in a taxicab. I have seen many people who take a cab to WalMart, but I saw a new variation on the theme today. This seemingly working-poor couple pulled up to the WalMart as I passed by this afternoon, got out, told the cabbie to wait and went inside to shop. The cabbie was still waiting when I went past again about 15 minutes later. What could they need at WalMart that would warrant having a cab standing by? No wonder the he little man can't get ahead, the little man is a dope.

Perhaps this seems obvious to you, but it is well established that the frequency of smoking is inversely related to income. So, everytime we up the cigarette tax, it increases the tax burden of the poor. This is why the government doesn't outlaw smokes, the tax revenue is too high. I figure it conservatively costs a person $1800 per year to smoke a pack a day. That would go a long way toward lifting them out of poverty.

I'm also reminded about a story in this morning's paper about how poor parents in our state can't afford daycare, since the state hasn't raised their subsidies to keep up with inflation. Some people pay as little as a dollar a day per kid and are complaining to the newspaper that they can't pay any more, including one woman who just can't go that extra buck a day she is faced with since her daycare center raised their rates. Wanna bet she that has a cell phone? I don't know how to respond to that line of thinking. There is no shortage of people telling us taxpayers that we need to do better.

Different subject. I asked my boss Kendall to let me take a day off next week without pay. He said no, which surprised me. My coworker is still off without pay to attend to her son, so I don't know why he would say no, but he did. Probably because he can. I have three days of time off remaining and next week has four workdays in it. I really hate to drive in to work for just one day. As a matter of fact the only things worse than driving in for one day, is driving in for two.

But wait, there's more! This evening the lovely Mrs. Sneed and I went to Target to pick up some stuff. We noticed that the grocery store next door was to be surrounded by cop cars. Of course I had to go over to see if I could help. People were walking in and out of the store like nothing was wrong, so I went in too.

The bank inside the store was wrapped in yellow crime scene tape and was being attended to by 10 cops. The employees of the bank were trapped behind the counters and milling around, looking bored. I wandered over to a grocery store employee standing 4 feet from the tape and asked her what was up. She said she didn't know. Sure. I know it was a robbery, but I need details, do you hear me, details!

At last, the end is here. Sadie the Wonder Mutt is going to a new home. She was supposed to be a companion dog for younger son Sneed, but that didn't work out and her care and attending has fallen to yours truly. I frankly don't have the interest or the time to properly care for a dog, especially one as active as Sadie. My friend has Beagles and would like to have her, so sometime between now and the weekend I will be dropping her off at her new home where she will enjoy the company of another of her breed.

The lovely Mrs. Sneed has proclaimed Casa Sneed to be a pet-free zone. Here's hoping it remains that way for year's to come.

Merle


Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong, sometimes just full of it, but always judgemental and cranky


Tag:

1 comment:

Kurt said...

I knew a parent who did not own a car, but brought her child to school in a taxi every time she was unable to get her to the bus stop on time.