Jul 25, 2006

Don't Let This Happen To You!

Before I forget, if you have an emergency fund (and you should), it may be time to ask your bank, credit union or brokerage if it is doing as well as it can. I was in my credit union the other day and the teller asked me if I had considered a CD for my savings. The savings at that account is for emergencies and stuff that comes up, like painting the house. I told her that I needed it to be liquid. It turns out I could put most of that money in a 3-month CD, earning 5.25%. It was only getting 2% in the savings account. That was a no-brainer. The difference in interest in 3 months is $100 bucks. Not bad. I was doing some work in the southeast portion of our fair city and I stopped to snap a picture of an area that is especially heavily vegetated with cholla and prickly pear. Cholla and prickly pear are closely related. As you can see they spread easily if there is not much competition for their environment. If you click to enlarge the image and notice the prickly pear in the foreground, you can see the stress the hot summer has put on the plant. The pads have shrunk as the water in the plant has depleted. This is normal for this time of year. If we get significant rain the pads will swell up as the plant retains mositure. I went back to see if the Curved-Billed Thrasher eggs had hatched yet. I hope they are viable. I haven't seen any sign of Mama Bird, but the nest looks as though it is being used. It is so smooth that it look like a woven basket. If you compare it to the picture from 2 weeks ago, it is obvious she has been sitting in the nest since the last picture. I did take this picture of a blossom on the cholla that the nest is in. While I was taking the picture a Black-Chinned hummingbird (I think) stopped by an adjacent blossom for a quick snack. I could not get the camera redirected quick enough to snap a shot. You don't want this to happen to you. Only an idiot traipses through cholla territory in sandals. I do have a fine looking heel, don't you think? Merle Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong and sometimes just full of it. Tag:

No comments: