Aug 15, 2006

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones, But The Delusions Of Insecure Goofballs Will Never Harm Me

Kind of rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? I spent the day doing some work in what is arguably the worst section of our fair city. It is not the section in which you stand the greatest likelihood of being shot, but block for block, it has the highest rate of other crimes. This area specializes in hookers and drug dealers. The residents live in a collection of beaten down motels, sleazy apartments and a whole bunch of trailer parks. Not mobile home parks, I mean trailer parks. I witnessed the sale of this little beauty today. I came around the corner and there was a guy with a 70's era Chevy Suburban backing this thing out of a rundown trailer park. After he got it out, a woman in shorts way too short and no shoes stood in the middle of the street and signed the title over to him. What the heck is he going to do with this monstrosity? On to other matters. Wait, first I have to make an announcement. "Will the owner of a gigantic ego report to the security desk? You left your indignation running." I came back from my day's work to find a note taped to my computer monitor. It was from my boss and commanded me to report to him asap. I took the note and traipsed to his office trying to remember the worst thing I have done lately. He asked why I had given the name and number of a particular coworker to one of my customers. It seems the customer had called said coworker, asking questions and Mr. Coworker was upset that he didn't have paperwork about the subject of the call (I am not making this up). I was inclined to ask if he was kidding me, but he seemed real serious. Originally, my little project was supposed to be part of a bigger project that my coworker had. The bigger project got cancelled and my little deal was left on its own, but the customer still had the other guy's number to call. Trust me when I say this is no big deal. It is about my coworker having a box he operates in and I violated the box. Only a moron would think that I have nothing better to do than to think up elaborate ways to bother him. Heck, I bother most people in the simplest ways imaginable without even trying. All my coworker had to do was to tell the guy to call me. Did he do that? No. This buffoon would rather take personal offense over being inconvenienced by having to talk to an extra customer, than to do the right thing. He could have come and asked me. He could have told the customer that he would check and that one of us would get back to him. He could have done a lot of things rather than making this about his bruised ego. He chose the low road, which we all know is the road most travelled. He whined to the boss about how I was abusing his valuable time and to the discredit of the boss, he took this ninny's petty complaint seriously. "But hold on there Merle", you are probably saying, "aren't you doing the same thing in this post, taking it personally?" Glad you asked. I'm not and here's why. I don't care what anyone thinks about me. I have worked for this joint for over 36 years and nothing they say or do is a threat to me. I fell off the corporate ladder quite a while ago. I check my ego at the door, at least as it concerns my job. The job is not personal, its a job and if someone wants to cry to the boss rather than behaving like an adult, that's not my problem. I gave the boss the old, "Yah, yah", and sent an email to the offendee, telling him I would go forth and sin no more, while subtly letting him know I think he is a jackass. Since he both young and a behemoth, it was real subtle. Subtlety may be lost on this guy anyway. So he is another rule for life from your old pal Merle. Don't take crap personally, mostly it isn't about you. Things happen that annoy us, but it is rare that it is done intentionally. Solve the problem with the person who caused it, or better yet ignore it, and move on. Bosses have enough to screw up without adding to their workload. In case you still think I am whining, you should probably be warned that I don't always follow my own advice, sorry. It is still fine advice, though. Merle. Things in this blog represented to be fact, may or may not actually be true. The writer is frequently wrong and sometimes just full of it. Tag:

No comments: